DIY: Transform Your Baby Shower Cards into Nursery Art!

When I was thinking about DIY projects I wanted to make for our baby girl's nursery, I had an idea one day while driving to work and I'm excited to share with you the final result.

I love receiving cards and I always find myself keeping them in a box or drawer somewhere and never looking at them again.  I love the memories they represent and so I wanted to find a way to preserve the cards from the baby showers I had.  The solution was to create a special piece of art for our daughter's nursery made out of the cards from my showers.

I thought it would be a fun, colorful piece and I am really happy with how it turned out.  Here's how I made it:

First, I laid out all of the cards I received at my baby showers and removed the duplicate cards (there were quite a few with the exact same design).  Then, I arranged them into color families.



I used a piece of poster board to make a heart shape I liked. It took me about three tries to get the right shape and size. Once I had the tracer ready, I began to find my favorite part of each card and used the heart to trace a heart onto the area I wanted to cut out.  Then, I used sharp scissors to cut out a piece of the card.


Once I had all of the hearts cut out, I used the insert of the IKEA Ribba frame to arrange the hearts to see how many rows I could fit. 


Then, I cut out a piece of poster board that fit into the frame and arranged the hearts into the color order I liked best.


I then stacked the hearts in the order I wanted to have them and then I affixed the poster board to the matting of the IKEA Ribba frame and got out my glue stick.


 I arranged the hearts again and glued each one into place with a regular glue stick.


Here's the final piece!


I decided to use it in the nursery's bathroom because I needed a piece for above the towel rack and thought this one looked particularly pretty with the pink walls:


If you're looking for a special way to make your baby shower or wedding cards a keepsake, definitely try something like this out!  You could do any pattern---polka dots or stars would be really sweet too.

Thank you for reading and hope you're having a great weekend!

48 comments :

  1. Very cute, V! Very creative of you, looks great in the bathroom too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool idea. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. So cute! I must remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I still have all my shower cards...I may do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea! I'm a card-saver too. Not sure what it is, but I can't seem to throw them away. I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I have a stack of cards from our wedding that I don't have the heart to get rid of. I may try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!! I love the idea of cards, but hate when they just sit in a box in the closet! Definitely going to look into this idea for our wedding cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So smart! I had so many cards, and felt so guilty throwing them away! Wish I had thought of something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so creative, i love it!
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the artwork! What a creative use of cards! If you don't mind my suggesting, I think I would have hung the frame a little higher above the towel rack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @lauren I thought about that but it looked weird higher because there is a mirror to the left and it went higher than the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I did this type of thing with scrapbooking papers and an elephant-shaped hole punch, but using baby shower cards is so much more meaningful. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant idea, love it and it turned out so cute. I hate to throw away cute cards, or ones from dear/close family and friends, think I might have to do this for events too (birthday, etc).

    As an aside, just want to tell you how much I enjoy AND learn from your blog. I'm in a different season of life than you (have 3 kids, my youngest is 4 and am celebrating my 15th anniversary next weekend ~ yeah), but I still love reading your posts, whether it be style or baby bump related. So, thank you and enjoy the home stretch of this pregnancy. All I can say is no one prepares you for how head-over-heels, punch-you-in-the-stomach IN LOVE you will be with your baby (and any future babies). People warned me but I didn't get it until I held my daughter (my first, I also have 2 sons) in my arms. It was overwhelming and still is. XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe this is such a great idea but my heart would break seeing the cards cut up :( Looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What cute artwork! We have had terrible luck with the IKEA frames, however. The black metal clasps fall apart instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! My daughter is 2 and I still have all the cards sitting in a drawer. Now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a super cute idea... I still have my wedding cards sitting in a box from 3.5 years ago, and I saved many of my baby shower cards too. I definitely think I will steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh you are creative! What a cute idea and the result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @JHC Houston--- really!? I haven't had any issues with them ever. Which black metal clasps do you mean? The ones that hold the glass and wood in place?

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is such a good idea! love it! it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a cute idea! I have really enjoyed following along with your pregnancy. As I hope to join the mommy-to-be club soon, I am trying to soak in as much experience from others as possible. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE that idea! It's so original, meaningful, and absolutely adorable!

    I may steal this idea and use it with our wedding cards.

    I have to say, Veronika, that you're going to be a fantastic mother. It shows in the amount of time, love, and thought that you put into each aspect of the pregnancy/welcoming the baby! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, the clasps that hold the glass and wood in place. In the last set of frames we purchased, they were flimsy and falling out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @well done beauty--- thank you so much, that is a really sweet comment :)

    @JHC Houston- I've had maybe one or two break before on those frames but never all of them. One or two missing is no biggie because it will still hold in place :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE this idea! I actually work for a greeting card company, and this is such a cool way to save your favorite cards. I'll definitely be sharing your post with my colleagues. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a fantastic idea! The finished product is adorable (and meaningful which is the best) and you're right, it looks fab with the pink wall!

    http://theworldfrommystilettos.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks great! I will use this idea when I have my baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute. Can you tell me where you got the gray and white shower curtain? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful idea!! I might try this out with my wedding cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so cute!!! I framed a favorite card of mine for our gallery wall. Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow this a brilliant idea! Mine are stuffed away in her keepsake box. She would love this, would be a fun craft to do with her I bet :)

    Luba

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am obsessed with this idea.. I am going to first do this with my wedding cards, especially the meaningful ones. I am going to do polka dots. And add text and graphics. Great idea. Love it. www.plantskinny.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a clever and cute idea! I just had my baby shower on Saturday and was wondering what to do with all the cards! I think I may try with polka dots since it'd be for a little boys room. I love how yours came out!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great idea! I've been trying to think of how to incorporate the baby shower invitations I received into my nursery. I might use your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this idea! Long past baby stage but might use it for a few other life events!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the beautiful ideas but please let me know the wordings that should be written on invitation card.
    baby shower ideas

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great way to recycle the baby shower cards! This is one unique baby shower ideas for girls. Really great!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...